Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Petty Theft


Well, first of all, I think we all probably experienced this as a child (not jail, but "petty theft"). Stealing a pack of gum at the grocery store, taking something without permission, etc.

Yesterday, we got home from school and Ethan pulled out of his pocket a little plastic monkey. I didn't recognize it and asked him where he got it. He told me that he got it from school. I asked him if his teachers told him it was ok to bring it home and he gave me a blank, guilty look and said "ummm....ummmm....I don't know". After a brief chat with Daddy, we decided to teach him this lesson early nip it in the bud right away. We sat him down and explained that taking something that doesn't belong to you is stealing. It would have been ok if he had the teacher's permission, but he didn't. He cried and told us he was sorry and he wouldn't ever do that again.

SO.....this morning when I took the boys to school, I made him walk up to his teacher, give her the monkey, tell her what he had done and say he is sorry. I got the feeling this has happened with other kids before, because she handled it, in my opinion, perfectly. She told him she accepts his apology and thanked him for telling her and bringing it back. She reiterated how important it is to never take anything that doesn't belong to you unless you have permission.

We hope he learned his lesson. He was brave to face the teacher (and us) and tell the truth, and for that, we're very proud. Hopefully it made a lasting impression on him and this won't ever happen again.

Teaching our kids to do the right thing and be honest when you've done wrong or made a mistake is, in my opinion, one of life's most important lessons. I pray that we handled it right!

No comments: